Engraving on the stainless panpipes. See PanPipesV2a for details.
PanPipesV1aThe old panpipes
The old panpipes which I welded together from EMT (Galvanized electrical conduit). They weren't very pretty, even less so before I painted them. The tone was ajusted by screws in the bottom of the tubes, but the threads were loose, and thus had to be sealed in place with wax to get a consistant tone. I think the welding created flakes of galvanization on the inside of the pipes, and although I cleaned them out pretty well, I would still start to cough after playing them for a few minutes, and there was always a matelic taste after playing them. After I finished making the new panpipes, I threw this set away.
PanpipesV1bThe old panpipes
The other side of the panpipes. See PanpipesV1a for details
PanPipesV2aThe new panpipes
These panpipes were made from Schedule 40 316L Stainless Steel (in contrast to my first try, which were plain, thinwall galvanized steel). The construction was more complicated for these , requiring a welding jig to get the proper curvature, and a lot of buffing to get the mirror-like shine. I'm very pleased with how they turned out, as well as how easy they are to play. The two issues are that the smallest pipes are hard to sound, which led me to down-tune them by a fourth (reducing the range from the original 2 octaves to a respectable 1.5), and they are heavy, weighing about 6 pounds.
PanPipesV2bThe new panpipes
New Stainless panpipes. See PanPipesV2a for details.