The old panpipes which I welded together from EMT (Galvanized electrical conduit). They weren't very pretty, even less so before I painted them. The tone was ajusted by screws in the bottom of the tubes, but the threads were loose, and thus had to be sealed in place with wax to get a consistant tone. I think the welding created flakes of galvanization on the inside of the pipes, and although I cleaned them out pretty well, I would still start to cough after playing them for a few minutes, and there was always a matelic taste after playing them. After I finished making the new panpipes, I threw this set away.